Friday, September 10, 2010

Day 9. Friday Sept 10

Today I dragged Matt out of bed and we headed for the parks at 7:30am. We got the picture of the crazy Tokyo train rush during this time. From the train we could see that there were a few thousand people in line at Disneyland waiting for the 9am park opening. We were headed for Disney Sea and hoping it wasn’t as mobbed. We found it was busy, but not mobbed. Upon entering we shot over to Tower of Terror for a fastpass and then ran back over to Journey… and waited nine minutes for that pretty cool ride. Nine is a lot better than the 110 minute wait of last night! We then had a little time before our fastpass so we got an early lunch in Cape Cod. It was typical American burger and fries except on all burgers here they put eggs. It is strange but I figured it was more like breakfast time anyway, so why not try it. The seating area for eating the food was in a live theatre room where a show called, “My Friend Duffy” almost perpetually plays. I just found out about this Duffy and I don’t know where he came from, but now I can’t escape him! As far as I can gather he is Mickey or Minnie’s teddy bear and you can buy this (absolutely plain) teddy bear at every store and buy him outfits and whatnot. Now these Japanese people all have at least one of these things. Some people have multiple as well as key chains and other Duffy crap. We say an hour or longer wait to take your picture with this thing and I just don’t understand it!




Anyway, I digress. From the new and cool Tower of Terror, we made our way to Disneyland to get our Fastpass for Haunted Mansion Holiday Nightmare and then to the Cirque du Soleil Theatre Tokyo.



We went to the 1pm Cirque show Zed. It is a newer Cirque show and I think it’s my 18th or 19th different Cirque show. It had an amazing post modern looking theatre and although, as Matt said, none of the acts alone were particularly strong, when you took in the whole scene that was being created it was pretty amazing overall. My favorite acts included the Lasso guys, Chinese Poles with a trampoline twist and Banquine, where it’s nothing but people throwing other people around. I really enjoyed the show and it will be a highlight of my trip.



After the show we rode the very cool Nightmare Before Christmas version of Haunted Mansion. I will have to do this in Disneyland in Cali sometime so I know what they were saying during the Japanese narrations. We then said goodbye to Tokyo Disney Resort and made our way back to Chiba. The only disappointment was the crappy selection of merchandise here at Disney. No magnets and no t-shirts. Every store has tons of candy and cookie things. I guess that’s all these people buy. Oh well, we have plenty of stops ahead of us to buy soveniers.



Back in Chiba we waited for a bit for Katie to get off work and get back in the apartment. In the downtime meandering around I bought TJ some crazy Japanese candy and a friendly and probably a little crazy Japanese guy that knew a little English talked to us for a half hour.



As I am sitting here doing laundry on our last night in Japan, I think of our brief time here. I will definitely be back someday. The people are amazing and will help you at every turn, even if they don’t speak the language. They are a quiet, respectful and efficient bunch of people and those are all traits I respect. I have a million more things to see here next time, for early in the morn we are off to Hong Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment