Monday, August 20, 2018

Day 2: Sun. Aug 19. Harry Potter Day

The activity today was the catalyst for the whole rest of the trip.  When I saw that Harry Potter and the Cursed Child was going to open on Broadway... I knew Kory had to go!  I tried to enter the Ticketmaster Verified Fan presale before Christmas, but alas, I did not get any tickets when I tried for that.  In January, normal tickets went on sale and I battled Ticketmaster for tickets, (which I have much experience with... stupid Ticketmaster.)  I was searching all different days and times to try and find when there were available tickets.  I found some availability and bought tickets for this date... a long long time before the show opened or we would be going...  I am so impatient.  I hated that I would have to wait seven months!

Harry Potter day started with breakfast near our hotel at the Recovery Diner.  I had their specialty hash which was three eggs over corned beef hash in some sauce with pico on top of it.  It was pretty good... and unique. 

From there, we caught the Subway up to Times Square and the show.  Part 1 was at 2 pm and Part 2 started at 7:30 pm.  The Lyric theater is absolutely beautiful and newly remodeled just for this show.  They had a slick efficient operation that is like Disney.  Everything everywhere themed, bar options in several places, a little store you could go in and buy snacks, people in the theater that would bring you concessions and merchandise that changed based on what had happened in the show.  It was all very well done.

I won't say too much about the show... Their whole spiel is #KeepTheSecrets.  Suffice to say, it was about six hours total of Harry Potter awesomeness.  We had 5th row aisle seats which were awesome.  It was cool seeing everything up close.  The special effects, acting, story, set, just everything was amazing.  I have never seen something quite like it.  I love how different plays and musicals can be.  It was an engaging experience.  They definitely won't be able to tour this show.  It is so immersive and normal theaters won't be able to support what they do here.  It annoyed me before that it was two shows and two spots on our schedule, but it was totally worth it.

Between shows we ate at O'Donoghue's Bar... Fish and Chips.  It was perfectly serviceable.  Nothing amazing, but good for an in-between show meal.  Then we went to Hershey's World where they had a little area where you could buy giant S'mores.  S'mores are my second favorite desert, after Cannoli... so I have now had my two favorite deserts and the rest of vacation we will eat all Kory's favorites... I promise.  The S'mores were okay... Their "gourmet" graham crackers weren't very graham flavored... It was still fun though.  Then we headed back for the second part of the show.

All in all, a great Harry Potter adventure day.  Now, onward to a quiet day in New York before flying out tonight.

1 comment:

  1. When I was between “Aladdin” and “Newsies,” I went to O'Donoghue's Bar. You’re totally right. Does the job. Nothing to write home about. ;) -Kyle

    ReplyDelete